Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Homemade Christmas

Well here it is. The post showing all of my homemade Christmas gifts. Humorous as it may sound I did not make anything for Rob and the kids because I give them my test runs of everything so they get made stuff all the time.
______
First we have 5 scarves I made for my Karpel nieces and nephews (siblings). I got the money to buy the yarn by selling a chair I found on the curb on Craig's List! Sweet! This scarf I made for a friend who walks a lot.
My kids helped me a lot with this project for my niece Hailey and nephew Payton (siblings): I bought two matching scratched up end tables at good will for $3 each. I had my kids sand them down and paint them with chalk board paint so Hailey and Payton would have their very own chalk board table. They turned out really cute!

I made baby doll blankets and pillows for my four young nieces:
I tried really hard to come up with things I could make that my three nephews who are 7, 9, and 10 would like but couldn't figure out anything they would think was a good gift. I didn't want to be "Aunt So-and-so" who gives you the hideous gift you are forced to thank them for. (Haha.) So I got them kits from Lowes for them to build cars and coin sorters. I figured if THEY made their gift it'd still be along the same idea.
_________
For most of the adults on my list I made these rice therapy bags. The inner bean-bag type pouch contains uncooked rice and a touch of essential oil. Heat in the microwave for two minutes and you have a warm heat pack to put on your neck. There were four different essential oil scents I let people choose from without telling them what I was making: Warm Sugar Cookie, Cranberry Mandarin, Coconut Lime, and Apple Cinnamon. They all smelled divine with heated up. Then I made a washable cover for each reflecting that person's style and favorite color. I made a ton! (This isn't even all of them!) They were a hit and I hope they help my family and friends relax all year.









Making almost all of my Christmas gifts was stressful and time consuming for sure but worth it.

1 comment:

Faith said...

Love all of the handmade stuff! I've done more some years, less others. I get more organized each year -- this time I'm keeping an "idea notebook" right by the calendar so that I can just pull ideas out and start working on things EARLY this year...we'll see how that goes. :-) It's so satisfying though to give a gift that's handmade -- and well received. (!!)