Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cutting Calories and Credit Cards

So lately I have been growing more tired of debt and the stress it brings. I have come to realize that spending $20 here and $20 there on credit for little stupid shopping trips or unnecessary meals out adds up fast. Furthermore, because of that, if some truly awesome opportunity comes along in life I wouldn't be able to go for it because I'm bound up in all this debt. This revelation has been processing in my mind for a long time. First I just tried to not use my credit cards but things like gas for the car or an unexpected need sent that right out the window. I have lived without credit cards before and know that if I don't have the card to fall back on I will plan ahead better and get creative with how to make it all work financially (although it sucks :0) So last week this frustration came to a head (and really didn't have anything to do with the holidays or new years...). Painfully I cut up my two cards. Ouch! It was a rough decision but (for me at least) there's no other way to stop the bleeding than to not have the option. So, yeah.... it has sucked already. (Hahaha - I'm pathetic, I know.) However I am slowly adjusting and every time I feel frustrated or think about the debt itself I just remind myself that if I'm focused that weight will slowly disappear.
________
On top of that cutting I have also began to cut calories, watch portion sizes and exercise more because I weighed in at 190 on the 26th (not cool). When I got married I was 150. Now, I can hide it pretty well but still, 40 pounds Christian?.... Com'on. I realize I won't get down to 150 and won't even try but at (almost) 30 years old I should be much closer to 160/170. Soooo... I am changing my eating and exercise habits. (This also has been long in the works in my mind and not necessarily related to the new year). The first week I lost 3 pounds. That was encouraging! I weigh in on Sundays. Yesterday (Monday) I didn't do so hot with the calorie part of it all but I will pick myself back up today and do better. Rome wasn't built in a day, right?
________
I share these things because I know that in the past when I've kept these goals to myself I cop-out and quit and then don't have to answer to anyone about it because no one knows. So I blog it out to you today because I want to have accountability. I want to meet these goals.
________
I will be updating you weekly on these things.

No comments: